Things to Do In and Around Quito and Ecuador
- Discover the highest capital in the world, founded in the 16th century on the ruins of an Inca city in the Andes 2,850 meters above sea level (come a day or two early to acclimatize).
- Stroll through Old Town, the best-preserved historic center in Latin America and the first UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site capital city.
- Visit the Basílica del Voto Nacional, the largest neo-Gothic basilica in the Americas, with gargoyles in the form of pumas, monkeys, penguins, tortoises, and condors.
- Ride Quito’s cable car (TelefériQo) and hike to Volcano Pichincha, 4,690 meters high.
- Take a taxi to the top of El Panecillo for an amazing 360° view of Quito.
- In the suburb of La Mariscal, dance to salsa, ska, merengue, and bachata.
- Join a free walking tour Monday – Friday with CarpeDM Adventures.
- Take a break at Itchimbia Parque, close to Old Town, with 54 hectares for strolling, lying in the grass, and watching football teams training.
- Visit the museum “Capilla del Hombre,” the work of Oswaldo Guayasamin, one of Ecuador’s most recognized artists.
- Opt for a hop-on hop-off bus ride—always a good option (http://quitotourbus.com – http://www.casa1028.com).
- Travel to the middle of the earth (about 60 minutes from Quito), the equator where the northern and southern hemispheres meet.
- View quetzals and spectacled bears in the stunningly beautiful cloud forest just north of Quito.
- Ascend a snow-capped volcano using crampons and an ice ax.
- Discover diverse wildlife in the Ecuadorian Amazon rainforest with Huaorani guides, some of the last hunter-gatherers on the planet.
- And, of course, visit the incredible Galapagos Islands!
Interested in a day tour? A cruise of the Galapagos Islands? Here are some links to tour companies that are highly rated on social media:
EQ Touring is a boutique tour operator in Ecuador operating Galapagos Luxury Cruises and Tours, and offering our delegates a 10% discount if booked directly – www.equtouring.com. Contact Isabel Calles at email@example.com or +593 333-3718 (Quito); +1 347-721-9006.
CarpeDM Adventures, specializing in day tours, Amazon & Galapagos, (offering free walking tours of the city), prides itself on its ability to positively impact the local community, and is offering our delegates a 10% discount if booked directly – www.carpedm.travel. Contact Paul Vivas at firstname.lastname@example.org or +593 (0)2 295-4713.
You may also visit www.quito.com.ec/en/the-city/touristic-information for additional tourism information about Quito.